CIS men's hockey Friday roundup: V-Reds secure 1st place with 4-2 win over Axemen

CIS men's hockey Friday roundup: V-Reds secure 1st place with 4-2 win over Axemen

Photo credit Brian Smith

No. 2 Acadia 2 No. 4 UNB 4 Final Box Score

Source: UNB Sports Info

FREDERICTON, N.B. - Fresh off back-to-back wins over Team Russia last week, the University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds men's hockey team were back to regular season play Friday night at the Aitken Centre against the Acadia Axemen.
Coming into the game one point behind the Axemen in Atlantic University Sport standings, UNB took down the No.2 Axemen 4-2, to take over the top spot in the AUS.

Nick MacNeil netted two goals for the V-Reds, including one empty-netter, with Colby Pridham assisting on both.

MacNeil opened the scoring in the first period, as UNB capitalized on an Andrew Clark hooking penalty. Daine Todd started the play, skating hard up the middle of the ice into Acadia's zone. Just after he crossed the blue line he reversed a drop pass to a trailing Pridham, who quickly fed a streaking MacNeil along the side boards.

MacNeil made no mistake firing a quick snap shot, beating Axemen goaltender Evan Mosher short-side and waist high for his sixth goal of the year.

But the AUS' second most penalized team fell into a quick 5-on-3, as 30 seconds after Thomas Nesbitt picked up a minor for slashing, the V-Reds were called for too many men, giving Acadia a two-man advantage for a minute and a half.

After Jordan Laberge fed Christopher Owens for a one-timer, which UNB netminder Travis Fullerton stopped, Mike Cozzola was on the doorstep to bury the equalizer.

Acadia weren't done on the power play as late in the period after an Antoine Houde-Caron interference penalty, Liam Heelis jumped on a loose rebound from a Cozzola shot, giving the Axemen a 2-1 lead after 20 minutes.

Midway through the second period, UNB tied it up with Cam Critchlow redirecting a Ben Shutron point shot for his fourth of the year.

Later in the third period, UNB fell into more penalty trouble, but managed to make the most of their penalty kill. While clearing the zone, Adrian Robertson flipped a Hail Mary pass through the neutral zone, springing Tyler Carroll on a footrace for a loose puck. Carroll won the race over Cullen Morin, and quickly snapped a shot short-side past Mosher, giving UNB the 3-2 lead.

In the final two minutes of the game, Todd was sent off for slashing, giving Acadia a 6-on-4 with their goalie pulled. However Nick MacNeil sealed the win, backhanding the puck into the empty net after a clearing attempt by Pridham, sealing the 4-2 win.

That was the fourth and final meeting between the two teams this regular season, with both teams sharing similar head-to-head stats. Both teams won their respective home games, while UNB has outscored Acadia 12-11 over the four games.

V-Reds head coach Gardiner MacDougall said that his team knew coming into the game that it would be close, and noted that along with Acadia, there are many other teams to be reckoned with.

"Whoever comes out of the AUS this year [to go to nationals] will be battle-hardened," said MacDougall. "It's important to play those minutes and get one-goal leads and protect and expand on them."

Meanwhile Carroll, who also scored the game-winner the last time Acadia played in the Aitken Centre, said while it felt like a playoff game, he found his team came out strong after almost a month-long break.

"That's a tough game to come back to after the break," said Carroll. "We've only been back at it for a week and a half but we put together a good effort and pulled out the win."

Newly acquired Varsity Reds defenseman Tim Priamo made his regular season debut with UNB on Friday, picking up an assist on Critchlow's goal, while the V-Reds outshot the Axemen 32-23. Dion Campbell also made his return to the V-Reds lineup Friday night. The fifth-year walk-on played four seasons with UNB, before opting to sit out the first half of the season to focus on his education program.

UNB also acquired goaltender and Fredericton native Jon Waye, who dressed as a backup to Travis Fullerton.

Paid attendance at the Aitken Centre was 2,406.


Moncton 1 StFX 5 Final Box Score
Dalhousie 1 UPEI 2 Final - OT Box Score
St. Thomas 1 No. 7 Saint Mary's 7 Final Box Score
Queen's 3 RMC 1 Final Box Score

Source: Queen's Sports Info

KINGSTON, Ont. - The Gaels (7-6-3) speed and efficient offensive productivity proved too much for the host RMC Paladins (2-14-2) at Constantine Arena on Friday night. The Queen's men's hockey team earned their first victory of the new year 3-1.

The Gaels found the back of the net first with second-year winger Tyler Moore (Winnipeg) scoring from a difficult angle off a chip pass from centre Braeden Corbeth (Oakville, Ont.). The Tricolour continued the pressure late in the first, recording six of their 10 first period shots after the 10 minute mark.

The second period saw Queen's get off to a quick start, with Moore recording his second goal of the game from a Kelly Jackson(Scarborough, Ont.) rebounded shot. The Gaels killed off six of their eight penalty minutes in the second period with Riley Whitlock (Calgary) standing tall in net.

RMC came out with intent in the third period, firing six shots on Whitlock early in the frame. Paladins forward Eric Louis-Seize (Montreal) scored an unassisted goal at the six minute mark to give RMC some momentum. Six minutes later Gaels leading scorer Jackson answered back with a well placed wrist shot initiated by a Jordan Soquilla (Maple Ridge, B.C) pass. With the Paladins pulling their goalie with a minute left, Whitlock was put to the test, denying RMC in the final minutes. Whitlock finished with 20 saves for the win.

The Queen's Gaels men's hockey team is next in action Saturday, when they play host to the Toronto Varsity Blues. Game time is set for 7:30 pm at the Memorial Centre. This game is also part of Gaels Community Day, which means admission is free of charge for youth.


Ryerson 3 Nipissing 5 Final Box Score
No. 10 Carleton 5 McGill 2 Final Box Score

Source: Carleton Sports Info

MONTREAL - The Carleton Ravens dominated the McGill Redmen in the third period, scoring five goals to secure a 5-2 win on the road Friday night.
The Ravens, who trailed 1-0 going into the third period, scored 29 seconds into the third period as Jeff Hayes slide the puck home off a beautiful feed from Linden Bahm.
Hayes added another, shorthanded,  a few minutes later after some hard work by Tim Billingsley and Shane Bakker.
McGill responded quickly to tie the game at two, but Mike Lomas scored off a rush to what would be the eventual game winner. Shortly after, Andrew Glass added another and Jeff Hayes rounded out the hat trick, scoring the fifth goal of the game.
The Ravens outshot the Redmen 45-18 on the night, including 41-10 over the last two periods.
Ryan Dube notched his ninth win in the contest.
Carleton travels to Concordia on Sunday afternoon for a 3pm puck drop against the Stingers.


No. 5 Western 3 Brock 2 Final Box Score

Source: Brock Sports Info

ST. CATHARINES, Ont. - The Brock University men's hockey team (6-8-3 OUA West) dropped a 3-2 decision to the No. 5 ranked Western Mustangs (14-3 OUA West) Friday night at the Seymour-Hannah Centre. With the victory, Western extends their win-streak to 12 games.
After a scoreless first period, Western opened the scoring 1:50 into the second, as Shaun Furlong setup Jason Furlong who put it past Brock freshman goaltender Dalton McGrath ( Toronto, Ont.) for his third goal of the season.
Just over two minutes later, Brock sophomore Sean Jones (Newmarket, Ont.) would tie the game 1-1 as he took a pass from junior Kaine Geldart (Kingston, Ont.) and buried it past Mustangs starter Josh Unice.
At the midway mark of the second period, Western would answer on the power play as Steve Reese and Kyle DeCoste setup Matt Clarke who buried a one-timer past McGrath for the 2-1 lead.
The Badgers C.J. Dickson (Thorold, Ont.) would answer back tying the game 2-2 with five minutes left in the second period.  Jones and Daniel Tanel (Brampton, Ont.) added the assists.
With 8:12 left in the third period, Western's Clarke would add his second of the game on the power play and OUA leading 14th of the season, which would prove to be the game winner. Reese and Daniel Erlich were credited with the assists.
In goal, McGrath turned aside 28 of 31 shots he faced in the loss. Unice added 21 saves for his 12th victory of the season.
The Badgers next action is Saturday, Jan. 5th at 3:15pm when they host the Laurier Golden Hawks at the Seymour-Hannah Centre.


No. 8 Windsor 4 UOIT 7 Final Box Score

Source: UOIT Sports Info

OSHAWA, Ont. – The UOIT men’s hockey team opened up 2013 on a high note as they defeated the No. 7 CIS ranked Windsor Lancers 7-4 friday night at the Campus Ice Centre.

Assistant captain Tony Rizzi (Kingston, Ont.) recorded his first career OUA hat-trick in the win as the Ridgebacks improve to 7-9-1 on the year to move into a tie for seventh place with Brock in the OUA western conference.

Things did not go as planned early in the game for UOIT as Windsor’s Myles McCauley scored a breakaway goal following a great scoring opportunity for the Ridgebacks at the other end of the ice just five minutes into the game. Ten minutes later, Jesse Stoughton (Bobcaygeon, Ont.) would knot things up for UOIT with a shorthanded goal as Scott Baker (MacTier, Ont.) earned an assist. This marked Stoughton’s second shorthanded goal of the year.

The Ridgebacks special teams continued to roll as they scored again one minute later, this time on the power play. Brendan Wise (Stouffville, Ont.) scored his seventh goal of the season with Cameron Yuill (Wellington, Ont.) picking up an assist. UOIT would manage to beat starting goalie Parker Van Buskirk one more time to close out the period as Rizzi scored his first goal of the night to give UOIT a 3-1 lead.

In the second period, the Ridgebacks would add onto their lead as Rizzi and James Woodcroft (Sarnia, Ont.) each scored even strength goals giving UOIT a 5-1 advantage and chasing Van Buskirk from the game.

UOIT veteran defender Steve Spade (Rochester, NY) added some more insurance in the final stanza as he scored his third career goal with 15 minutes remaining.

Trailing 6-1, Windsor showed some signs of life scoring three straight goals to cut the UOIT lead to 6-4.

With the goaltender pulled, Rizzi was able find the back of the net to complete the hat-trick to give the Ridgebacks the 7-4 victory. Luke VanMoerkerke (Tillsonburg, Ont.) was Rizzi’s set-up man all night as he assisted on all three goals.

UOIT’s penalty killing unit was fantastic as they shut out the league’s top power play on all nine attempts. UOIT’s power play went 1-for-3 in the win.

UOIT put an end to Windsor’s hot streak as they entered the game winning eight of their last ten games. Despite the loss, the Lancers remain in second place with a 12-5-0 record.

With the win, the Ridgebacks take the season series over Windsor two games to one.

UOIT will look to beat another top ranked opponent on Saturday night as they head to London to take on the No. 5 ranked Western Mustangs. Western in 14-3-0 on the year and are currently riding a 12-game winning streak. Game time is at 7:30 p.m.


Guelph 3 Lakehead 4 Final - SO  

Source: Lakehead Sports Info

THUNDER BAY, Ont. - The Lakehead Thunderwolves beat the Guelph Gryphons 4-3 in a shootout on Friday night at the Fort William Gardens in Thunder Bay before a crowd of 2567.

After a slow start, things picked up around the middle of the first period with some nice chances on both sides, including a great chance by Ryan Magill in front of the Guelph goal on a nice feed from Victor Anilane.

At 18:37 of the first period, freshman Luke Judson tipped a Jay Gilbert point shot past Guelph netminder Brandon Maxwell on the power-play  to give Lakehead the 1-0 lead heading into the first intermission. Mike Hammond was credited with the second assist.

Lakehead made it 2-0 at 4:29 of the second period on a nice tic-tac-toe passing play by Victor Anilane and Jason Grecica, finished off by Ryan Magill into a wide-open net on a very nice shift from the Wolves’ fourth line.

At 8:14 of the second, Mike Quesnele scored from a sharp angle, increasing the Wolves lead to 3-0. The assist on the goal was credited to Ryan Magill.

Guelph got on the board a little over a minute into the third period, as Lakehead failed to clear the zone. Jon-Thomas MacDonald wired a wrist shot past Wolves’ goaltender Alex Dupuis, making it 3-1.

Guelph continued to make things interesting, and with Lakehead’s Mike Quesnele in the box for roughing, Philip Teri fired a shot that found daylight past Dupuis, bringing Guelph to within one goal.

Guelph knotted things up at 3-3, with only 27 seconds left in the game as Guelph’s Brett Appio found himself wide open at the side of the net with the puck on his stick.   He made no mistake, tying things up to force overtime.

The extra period solved nothing, but there was a lengthy delay after a Kalvin Sagert slap-shot broke a pane of glass behind the Guelph net with only 5 seconds left in overtime.

In the shootout, Keith Grondin and Luke Judson both buried on Maxwell, and Dupuis stopped both shots he faced, sealing the win for the Wolves.

The Molson 3 Stars of the game were:

1st – Luke Judson, Lakehead

2nd – Ryan Magill, Lakehead

3rd – Jon-Thomas MacDonald, Guelph

Both teams are back at it Saturday night at the Fort William Gardens at 7:30.


York 4 Waterloo 3 Final - SO Box Score

Source: York Sports Info

TORONTO - Team captain Jesse Messier scored the shootout winner to lead the York University Lions men's hockey team to a 4-3 victory over the host Waterloo Warriors at Columbia Ice Field on Friday night (Jan. 4).

Messier (Keswick, Ont.) scored in the third round of the shootout after neither of Waterloo's shooters could get the puck past goaltender Andrew Perugini (King City, Ont.). The fourth-year forward also netted the game's first goal just 43 seconds into the opening period to add to his team leading total. He now has 20 points (nine goals, 11 assists) in 16 games.

Perugini was tremendous in net, stopping 49 of 52 shots in addition to both shots in the shootout. His best period was the third, when he withstood a barrage and made 23 saves in the final frame. The fourth-year goalkeeper has started every game for the Lions this season and has backstopped them to a 10-7-0 record. The win on Friday moves them into a tie for fifth place in the OUA West standings with the Lakehead Thunderwolves.

The Lions jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the first period after Messier's quick goal and another by second-year forward Tyler McGee (Timmins, Ont.) at 11:35 of the period, and the Lions carried that advantage into the second.

The Warriors scored the only goal of the middle frame, off the stick of Justin Larson (Buckhorn, Ont.) on a power play with one second remaining on the clock to cut the lead in half.

Larson scored his second of the game less than two minutes into the third to tie the contest, and Andy Smith (Rosetown, Sask.) gave the Warriors their first lead at 11:06 on his sixth of the season.

That advantage was short-lived, however, as the Lions tied the game again just 43 seconds later when fourth-year forward Mackenzie Micks (Orillia, Ont.) notched his third of the year. Both goalies held firm after that, until Messier gave the Lions the victory after overtime solved nothing.

Waterloo netminder Justin Leclerc (Saskatoon) made 30 saves on 33 shots in the loss.

The Lions will make their 2013 home debut on Saturday night (Jan. 5) when they welcome the No. 8 nationally-ranked Windsor Lancers to Canlan Ice Sports. Puck drop is set for 7pm.


No. 9 Manitoba 4 No. 3 Saskatchewan 2 Final  

Source: Saskatchewan Sports Info

SASKATOON - Special teams proved to be the difference in a University of Manitoba 4-2 victory over the University of Saskatchewan Huskies Friday night in Saskatoon’s Rutherford Rink.

The No. 9 ranked Bisons capitalized three times on six power play attempts in the win over the No. 3 ranked Huskies. Saskatchewan went 0-for-five with the man advantage.

With the win Manitoba closes the gap to the top of the standings improving to 10-4-3, while the Huskies, who still have one game in hand on the first place Alberta Golden Bears, drop to 13-4. The game was the first of the second half of the Canada West men’s hockey season for both teams.

Manitoba’s Eric Mestery opened the scoring in the game at 9:03 in the first period when he deflected a pass in front of Huskies’ goalie Ryan Holfeld into the net.

Extending their lead just 1:13 into the second period, Bison Del Cowan soft shot on the power play deflected off a slew of players in front of Holfeld.

On a quick transition up the ice, Cody Smuk was able to beat Manitoba’s Jesse Deckert five-hole to cut the lead in half at 6:28 in the second. With a hard shot from the point, defenceman Cody Hobbs tied the game at two for the Huskies when his shot beat Deckert top shelf at 13:14 in the second.

Bison Dane Crowley broke the tie on the power play with a goal on a scramble in front of the net that trickled through Holfeld’s legs at 5:21 in the third.  Striking for the third time in the game on the power play, Manitoba doubled their lead at 12:36 on a shot by Tyler Dittmer.

Deckert made 18 saves in the win for the Bisons, while Holfeld stopped 20 at the other end of the ice for the Huskies.

The two teams will meet again Saturday night at Rutherford Rink. Puck drop is 7 p.m. The game will be webcast at


Lethbridge 3 Regina 6 Final Box Score
Calgary 6 UBC 2 Final Box Score

Source: UBC Sports Info

VANCOUVER - The Calgary Dinos took over fourth spot in the Canada West conference with a 6-2 victory over the UBC Thunderbirds men's hockey team Friday night at the Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre. The Dinos have now won four straight games, while UBC has lost four of their last five regular season games.

The Thunderbirds had trouble shaking the holiday rust off early as the visitors from Calgary got off to a great start scoring a pair of goals in the first 4:59 of action. Kevin King potted his eighth goal of the year and Taylor Stefishen scored his second of the year to give the Dinos the early 2-0 lead. UBC had some chances early,  but couldn't convert as both Joe Antilla (Madeira Park, BC) and Michael Wilgosh (Selkirk, MB) had opportunities to get the Thunderbirds on the board. UBC would finally click on the power play as Brad Hoban (Victoria, BC) took a nice feed from Max Grassi (North Vancouver, BC) that just slipped past Dinos goaltender Dustin Butler to cut the lead to 2-1 with 3: 28 left in the opening frame. That is how things would stand through 20 minutes of play.
After killing off a power play to start the second period, the Thunderbirds started to turn up their offensive game, led by leading scoer Max Grassi. The fourth year product had three chances on one shift, including a point blank opportunity on a two on one, but Dustin Butler was there to deny him every time. Butler's counterpart Jordan White (Surrey, BC) was no slouch himself stopping Dinos captain Brock Nixon twice, once on a shorthanded partial breakaway and again on the power play with an outstanding left pad save on a one timer. The 'Birds would score the equlizer with 3:32 left in the second period as Neil Manning's (Nanaimo, BC) wrister found the back of the net for his first career CIS goal, tieing the game at 2-2. However, the excitement wouldn't last long as Walker Wintoneak scored on the power play with 4.9 seconds left in the frame to give Calgary a 3-2 lead after two periods of play.
"That goal killed us," said UBC head coach Milan Dragicevic. "We took a bad penalty, didn't get the puck, and they made us pay scoring the eventual game winner."
Jordan White came up with a big save to start the third period, stopping Corey Banfield off the rush, then he swiped away the rebound from the crease just as a pair of Dinos were about to pounce on it. Unfortunately, that would be the only hiighlight of the period for the Thunderibrds, as they came out flat in the frame and Calgary would make them pay scoring three goals on route to a 6-2 victory. Stefishen and Wintoneak both scored their second goals of the game, while Corey Banfield chipped in with a single. UBC was outshot 10-7 in the period and 27-26 overall. White gave up six goals on 26 shots in the UBC net and was replaced by Steven Stanford (Calgary, AB) with 6:17 left in the game.
Despite this being the Thunderbirds first Canada West regular season game since December 1, 2012, head coach Milan Dragicevic wasn't going to use rust as a reason for his team's lacklustre effort.
"There are no excuses. I though we took it to them for much of the second period, controlling the play and then we had nothing in the third period. In fact, we had nothing in the first period. Our guys were not ready to play, we weren't prepared to battle, and everybody has to take responsibility, coaches and players alike."
With the loss UBC falls to fifth place in thd Canada West conference with a record of 9-7-1, one point behind Calgary (10-7-0) and just one point up on sixth place Regina (8-7-2).
Stefishen, a North Vancouver, BC product, and Wintoneak each finished with two goals and an assist, while Kodie Curran chipped in with three helpers for the Dinos. Butler made 24 saves in net for the victory.
UBC welcomed their captain back to the line up. Justin McCrae (Cochrane, AB) returned after missing the last nine regular season games with a concussion. However, the Thunderbirds were without centre Nate Fleming (St. Albert, AB) who missed the game with the flu.
These two teams will be back in action tomorrow at the Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre. Puck drop is 7:00 pm.