CIS men's hockey Friday roundup: Panthers' special teams help tie the series with win over No. 1 UNB

CIS men's hockey Friday roundup: Panthers' special teams help tie the series with win over No. 1 UNB

Photo credit: Nick Murray

UPEI 4 No. 1 UNB 2 Final Box Score
AUS Semifinal - Game 2

Photo credit: Nick Murray, UNB Sports Information

FREDERICTON, N.B., - As Varsity Reds head coach Gardiner MacDougall put it: "Now we have a series."

The University of Prince Edward Island Panthers tied their Subway semi-final series with the University of New Brunswick Friday night at the Aitken Centre, beating the V-Reds 4-2 on the road at the Aitken Centre.

All of UPEI's goals came on special teams, two were shorthanded, while the Panthers have now tallied four power play goals in the series.

"Ultimately we worked hard, we finished our hits, and we got more shots at their goalie," said Panthers' head coach Forbes MacPherson on the win. "We were above and beyond our commitment to our 5-on-5 play, and special teams was the difference."

Matt Maione, Jordan Knox, Cole MacMillan, and Mike MacIsaac each scored in the win, while MacPherson elected to start Mavric Parks, who stopped 18 shots for his first win since the opening game of the regular season on Oct. 12th.

MacPherson said he was "up all night thinking about [whether to start Parks]," and Parks said he was told the morning of the game.

"I guess you could say I was surprised [I started]," said Parks. "Wayne's had an unbelievable second half and last game wasn't at all his fault."

The V-Reds' Colby Pridham opened the scoring for UNB early on, redirecting a Nick MacNeil shot through traffic.
But UPEI capitalized at the end of a Ben Wright tripping penalty, with Maione going end-to-end, and wristing a shot bar-down over V-Reds goalie Dan LaCosta's shoulder.

Twenty-eight seconds into the second period, and with UNB on a power play, Chris Culligan turned the puck over to Chris Desousa, who then sprung Jordan Knox on a short breakaway who netted his first of the playoffs, giving UPEI their first lead of the series.

MacMillan gave the Panthers a two-goal lead later on burying his own rebound, off the end-boards, and flipping the puck top-shelf on a defenceless LaCosta.

Cam Critchlow made it a one-goal game midway through the period with help from Bryce Swan and Cam Braes, and it stayed that way until the final minute when Mike MacIsaac buried the insurance goal after LaCosta charged out of the net to play a loose puck.

"I thought we started the game pretty good, and usually we get better as the game goes on, but tonight we didn't," said MacDougall on the loss which snapped a nine-game winning streak. "We Usually we're a third-period hockey club and we pride ourselves on the third. The secret to success in this league is when how you respond to adversity. And now we have an opportunity to respond."


No. 9 Carleton 3 Ottawa 4 Final Box Score
OUA East semifinal 2 - Game 2

Source: Cameron Peckham

OTTAWA - Friday’s bout between cross-town rivals, the Ottawa Gee Gee’s and the Carleton Ravens, was a must-win game for the Gee Gee’s.  Though, their task of beating the Ravens became an even greater challenge with Carleton announcing the return of forward Joe Plekatis into their lineup.

“I thought Plekatis played very well,” commented head coach Marty Johnston.

The game was a slow start for the Ravens as the Gee Gee’s showed a heightened level of tenacity against the Ravens. Six foot one and 200 pound Darren Miller set the tone with a hit on Carleton’s Tim Billingsley early in the first frame. The Gee Gee’s continued with a forceful style, preventing any of the Ravens to cross their blue-line without a hard check.

“We knew we had to play physical against a team that is always getting in our faces,” commented captain of the Gee Gee’s, Luc-Olivier Blain.

The first period was laced with bad turnovers by the Ravens which gave the Gee Gee’s ample chances to bury the puck past Ryan Dube. Despite the game being scoreless after 20 minutes, the Ravens did not possess the extra-edge which the Gee Gee’s had come out with. Despite this, coach Johnston said
“We played well in the first.”

To open the scoring, Carleton’s Linden Bahm buried his first goal of the playoffs with assists to Tim Billingsley and Jeff Hayes. Five minutes later, Mitch Porowski dented the mesh on the powerplay, making it his third goal of the playoffs.

Ottawa’s Jean-Sebastien Fournier put his team on the scoreboard half way through the game. Though, just two minutes later, Plekatis tipped a shot from Ryan Maclean to spread the gap to two goals for the Ravens.

“We were talking about it on the bench and we weren’t sure who got it but we didn’t care we were working hard and finally got one,” commented Plekatis.

With a minute remaining in the second frame, Ottawa’s Guillaume Donovan brought his team within one goal of the Ravens.

The last twenty minutes saw a burst of offensive effort from the Gee Gee’s as they posted two more goals to win the game 4-3.

The Ravens who forfeited a two goal lead will be entering unfamiliar territory come Sunday’s game three. The Ravens will face their first possible elimination thus far in the playoffs.

“We’re not worried…we just know we have to come out and play a full sixty minutes…we didn’t do that tonight,” commented Plekatis

Sunday’s matchup at 7:00 PM EST will be hosted by Carleton at the Ice House


No. 7 Manitoba 1 No. 6 Saskatchewan 7 Final Box Score
Canada West semifinal 2 - Game 1

Source: Nicole Betker, Saskatchewan Sports Info

SASKATOON - University of Saskatchewan Huskies’ captain Brennan Bosch tallied a hat trick in 7-1 victory over the visiting University of Manitoba Bisons in Game 1 of a Canada West men’s hockey semifinal Friday night in Saskatoon’s Rutherford Rink.

With the win, the Huskies take a 1-0 lead in the best-of-three series. The winner will move on to the Canada West Final against either the Calgary Dinos or Alberta Golden Bears.

Bosch, who scored twice on the power play, tallied at 14:09 in the second period, at 9:11 and 10:16 in the third period. He also added an assist in his four-point night. Derek Hulak added another five points for the Huskies with two goals and three assists, while 2012-13 scoring leader Kyle Bortis recorded four helpers in the win. Matthew Spafford and Brandon Herrod also scored for the Huskies.

Manitoba’s story was penalty trouble.  The Bisons took nine penalties in the first two periods, giving the Huskies three five-on-three opportunities in the first 40 minutes. Saskatchewan went 2-for-14 with the man advantage, while the Bisons were 0-for-five.

The Huskies jumped out of the gates early scoring four goals in the first period.

Bortis sent a pass across the ice to a streaking Spafford who beat Manitoba netminder Jesse Deckert glove side to open the scoring at 7:20.  Just 1:22 later Herrod slid the puck passed a diving Deckert. Hulak scored at 14:08 and 18:22 for the 4-0 lead.

The teams traded goals in the second period. Bosch tallied his first on a lose puck in front of Deckert, while the Bisons scored short handed when Brodie Melnychuk found the loose puck scoring on a partial breakaway at 18:14 to make the game 5-1.

Bosch added his two goals in the third period.

Deckert made 28 saves in the loss for Manitoba, while Ryan Holfeld made 26 saves in the win for the Huskies.

Puck drop in Game 2 of the best-of-three series is 7 p.m. Saturday at Rutherford Rink. Game 3, if necessary is set for 7 p.m. Sunday. 


No. 10 Calgary 0 No. 2 Alberta 4 Final Box Score
Canada West semifinal 1 - Game 1

Source: Paul Cartledge, Alberta Sports INfo

EDMONTON – Forwards Johnny Lazo and Torrie Dyck both had three-point nights in a 4-0 victory in Game 1 of the best-of-three conference semi-final series between the No.2 University of Alberta Golden Bears and the No.10 University of Calgary Dinos, Friday night at Clare Drake Arena.

Former Tri-City American Lazo potted a pair of goals and an assist while Dyck, a former ACAC athlete with Augustana, netted a goal and two assists in his first playoff game as a Golden Bear. Sophomore forward Brett Ferguson added a couple of helpers while Travis Toomey, also a second-year forward, rounded out the scoring. Netminder Kurtis Mucha continued his shutout streak from the regular season, extending to a total time of 204:20 in a 26-save performance for his third-straight shutout.

Senior goaltender Dustin Butler made 26 saves in the loss for the Dinos.

The Golden Bears opened the scoring early, Lazo redirecting a Greg Gardner shot headed wide, putting it along the ice for the 1-0 lead only 1:28 into the game.

The conference-best offence, and second best in the country, continued to pour on the pressure in the opening frame, outshooting Calgary 12-5 and doubling the lead with 1:46 to go in the first period when Lazo evaded a Dino defender along the boards to create a three-on-two rush down low.

The Winnipeg native fed a pass to Dyck in the slot, the fourth-year ringing his shot off the post and in for his first of the playoffs and 13th goal as a Golden Bear.

Hungry to even the score, Calgary opened up the play in the middle frame, resulting in the two teams trading chances at the start of the second but the score remaining 2-0 because of Butler and Mucha’s strong play between the pipes.

On a late Alberta power-play, however, the Bears increased the lead to three goals when Ferguson, a former Red Deer Rebel, found Lazo alone in the slot and the third-year one-timed the pass to the top shelf with 1:43 left to go in the second.

Despite the Dinos having better luck on the shot clock in the final 40 minutes, the visitors couldn’t put one past the season’s best goaltender, coming into the playoffs with a conference-best .936 save percentage and 1.30 goals against average.

The former Kamloops Blazer didn’t make a highlight-reel save all game, but played a steady game with near-perfect positioning to keep the provincial rivals off the scoreboard.

Toomey finished the scoring with 4:22 left in the third when he took a loose puck in the Calgary defensive zone, circled towards the slot and roofed a backhand for a short-handed marker.

Alberta finished the game at 1-8 on the power-play while the Dinos went 0-5.

The Battle of Alberta resumes on Saturday with Game 2 of the semi-final at 6 p.m. MT at Clare Drake Arena. If necessary, Game 3 will also at 6 p.m. on Sunday.