CIS men's hockey Thursday roundup

CIS men's hockey Thursday roundup

Photo credit Western Athletics

York 5 Laurier 2 Final Box Score

Source: Jamie Howieson, Laurier Sports Info

WATERLOO, Ont. - The Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks men's hockey team suffered a setback in their push for a playoff spot as they fell 5-2 to the York Lions on home ice Thursday night.

Trailing the Lions by six points in the standings coming into the contest, the Hawks were unable to contain York's dynamic duo of Troy Barss of Barrie, Ont., and Jesse Messier of Keswick, Ont. The two players each recorded three points to send Laurier to their second straight defeat.

Barss was particularly dangerous on the night as he netted a pair of goals while Messier, Michael Santini of Woodbridge, Ont., and John de Gray of Markham, Ont., added singles.

Scoring for Laurier were defencemen Taylor D'Andrea of Hamilton, who scored his first career goal in the first period, and for ward Derek Schoenmakers of Kitchener, Ont. For Schoenmakers, the goal was his 13th of the season, which leaves him tied for seventh in the conference this year.

Earning the victory between the pipes for the Lions was Chris Perugini of King City, Ont., as he made 27 saves for his third win of the year. Vinny Merante of Niagara Falls, N.Y., took the loss for the purple and gold as he stopped 30 of the 35 shots directed his way.

The loss is a tough one for the Hawks as it keeps them six points out of a playoff spot with eight games remaining in the season. Laurier is currently 10th in the OUA West division with a 7-12-1 record. Meanwhile, the Lions leapfrog both Brock and Guelph and now sit sixth in the division with an 11-9-1 mark.

The Hawks will have a chance to close the gap on the eighth-place Badgers when they travel to St. Catharines Friday evening. Puck drop is set for 7:15 p.m. and the game can be seen live on BrockTV.


Western 4 Guelph 0 Final Box Score

Source: Guelph Sports Info

Guelph, Ont – The Guelph Gryphon men’s hockey team suffered a 4-0 loss to the Western Mustangs on Thursday evening at the Gryphon Centre. The loss drops the Gryphons to 9-9-4 and moves the Mustangs to 15-6-0.

The Mustangs started out strong against the Gryphons, using their speed and physicality to keep control of the game. The Gryphons got the first power play of the game after a high-sticking call on Mustang player Matt Marantz (Calgary, AB.) at 2:25. The Gryphons were unable to keep possession of the puck and set up in front of the net. Most scoring opportunities ended with Western clearing the puck.

Later on in the period, the Gryphons would get a close call with a slap shot from Phillip Teri (Elora, Ont.) from the blue line, but the shot would go wide and the game would remain scoreless. A Guelph turnover later on would allow Kyle De Coste (London, Ont.) to grab the puck. De Coste was able to outskate the Gryphon defenders, going one-on-one with Gryphons goalie Keith Hamilton (Kelowna, BC). Hamilton would block the shot, but the Mustangs would score shortly after with Matt Paltridge (Tecumseh, Ont.) shooting from the top of the circle to make it 1-0 for Western at 10:09, with De Coste and Steve Reese (Dorchester, Ont.) on the assists.

The Gryphons would start the second period on a power play after an interference call on Adam Stoykewych (Winnipeg, MB) late in the first period. Western was able to kill the remainder of the power play and keep the Gryphons from scoring. Western would get a power play early on in the period after Gryphon player Kyle Neuber (Sarnia, Ont.) was called for interference. Western was able to score eight seconds into the power play after quickly setting up in front of the net, with Kyle De Coste scoring from the point making it 2-0, with Matt Clarke (London, Ont.) and Daniel Erlich (Thornhill, Ont.) on the assists.

The Gryphons would manage to get 11 shots on goal in the second period, but were unable to beat Mustang goalie, Josh Unice (Toledo, OH).

The third period would begin with end-to-end action, but the game would get more intense quickly with Western moving quickly through the neutral zone with a pass to Steve Reese who manage to get a quick shot into the top corner to make it 3-0 at 3:34 with Zach Hamden (Thunder Bay, Ont.) and De Coste on the assists.

The Gryphons would be plagued by turnovers for the majority of the third period, unable to keep possession of the puck. Western would capitalize on almost all Guelph turnovers, leading to scoring opportunities on most plays. Mustang player Kyle De Coste would get his second goal at 8:39 in the third period after a turnover, with Reese and Hamden on the assists.

Although the Gryphons would out shoot the Mustangs 28-25, the Mustangs would win 4-0.

The Guelph Gryphon men’s hockey team hit the ice again on January 25th in Toronto against York with the puck set to drop at 7:00 p.m.